Throughout the year when I find or hear about a book I might find interesting, I send myself a note with the name of the book. This is an ongoing email throughout the year that I keep replying to and CC my wife. Then at Christmas when someone asks my wife what I might like, she sends them the list of books. It works out pretty well and I end up with a nice stack of books to start the year.
- The Forbidden Game by Dan Washburn – How the growth of once forbidden golf in China is a microcosm for how the country works.
- One Lucky Bastard – Autobiography of Roger Moore. When I was a kid, he was James Bond and the epitome of a movie star.
- Destiny of the Republic – Fascinating history of James Garfield. A president taken way too soon, that could have had a huge impact on our country.
- Goodbye Darkness – I’m a huge fan of William Manchester (see the next book) and I highly recommend A World Lit Only by Fire, but in this book he writes about his own experiences as a US Marine during WWII and the war in the Pacific.
- The Last Lion – The first book in a trilogy biography of Winston Churchill. I started with the final of this series, and now go back to the beginning.