Since last March, I’ve been part of the group that puts on events for the Social Media Club of Sacramento. The mission of the Social Media Club is to:
- Expand Media Literacy
- Share Lessons Learned Among Practitioners
- Encourage Adoption of Industry Standards
- Promote Ethical Practices through Discussion and Actions
We’ve been trying to do that all year with monthly meetings with topics such as “Pray for Social Media: Social Media & Religion,” “Social Crime,” and “Social Media in Education.” This week our focus was nonprofits and “Social Media for the Social Good.”
A full recap of the meeting is up at the Sacramento Press. In December, we’re having a joint event with SacTweetUp that will be more about celebration than education. We’ll get back to regular meetings in January and are planning a sull slate of interesting and educational topics.
Some of the topics we’re looking at including are:
- Social Media for Small Businesses
- Social Media & Relationships
- Social Media & the Law; and
- Social Media & The Media.
We’ll come up with snazzy names later. If you have a topic you would like to see us address let us know. You can always find us on Twitter @SMCSac.