Jim Valvano’s speech from 1993. It’s 20 years old now. Still amazing. No matter what it is you are doing. Don’t give. Don’t ever give up.
A few notes:
- He explains why his speech will be the way it is, no cue cards;
- Breaks things up in segments, first with three things you should do every day. You should laugh, you should think and you should cry;
- Next another list of three, where you started, where you and where you’re going to be;
- Next he tells a humorous story about Vince Lombardi firing up his team with a speech about focusing on three things, your family, your religion and the Green Bay Packers;
- He establishes himself as human with a humorous anecdote;
- He recaps the advice, and ends with a memorable call to action. Don’t give up. Don’t ever give up.